How to Be Happy
1) smile when you first wake up.
shine your pearly whites the second your eyes open, and laugh for absolutely no reason.
it will start your day on a good note, even if it takes you a little longer to get out of bed.
2) skip the coffee.
your mom was right when she said caffeine can do crazy things to you.
try something soothing like an herbal tea, it will taste just as good without making your hands shake any more than they already do.
3) try to eat three meals.
it doesn’t matter if its as big as a turkey dinner or as small as a piece of fruit,
it’s just important to make sure something substantial is in your stomach so you don’t pass out.
remember that your body is a temple and it deserves to be taken care of.
4) think positively.
focus on the good things in your life, rather than dwelling on all the negatives.
don’t think about the looks that girl gave you when you walked into school,
instead think of how you ignored her and sashayed your way into first period.
look on the bright side of everything.
5) thank yourself.
remember that you woke up this morning, so that in and of itself is an amazing accomplishment.
you are here today, and although you are weeping and sad,
you deserve a gold medal to have survived this long.
be proud that you will make it to feel the suns warmth radiate throughout the cold winter.
6) talk to everyone around you.
you have a right to say whatever is on your mind in this world,
so use your voice to compliment that girl’s outfit you love,
and hear her to talk about her favorite pair of shoes that no longer fit.
everyone has a story to tell, so stick around a few more minutes to hear it.
7) keep the sass to a minimum.
just because you are having a horrible day, doesn’t mean you have the right to be rude to everyone around you.
if you were happening to have a good day, you wouldn’t want someone to upset you for no good reason.
karma is alive and well, so respect all and you will be respected as well.
8) shower every day.
it does not matter whether you have done nothing but watch netflix all day, or rolled around in the mud like a pig, you must clean yourself properly.
it isn’t just hygienic, it will also give you a chance to clear your mind and reflect on your day.
9) stick to a sleeping schedule.
the amount of hours you sleep will make a huge impact on your emotional and physical stability, so plan to end your day early.
skip the late night study session, because your health is more important than that one grade will ever be.
10) repeat tips 1-9.
it may take a while, but you will eventually be able to throw up that smile, and it will no longer be fake.
there will always days where you will feel far from your goal of happiness, but stay strong and think positively, and you will come out gleaming and victorious.
- the dark cloud over your head will eventually fade away and leave a rainbow in its wake (via keepingskinnylove)
- Isaiah Henkel (via onlinecounsellingcollege)
1. high school will drain you. it’s panic attacks in the hallway and crying in the bathroom and eating lunch in the back of the library because the cafeteria makes your heart beat too fast. It’s getting high and throwing up. you will learn a lot about death and how to treat your cuts. You will also learn what it’s like to get drunk and laugh at the stars and how to write poetry that makes the world hurt less. You will read books that you fall in love with. you will fall in love. you’ll get closer to your mother because you’ll need someone to help you with your math homework and teach you how to put on your makeup and wipe away your tears.
2. the first boy you fall in love will break you. he’ll tell you he loves you and convince you to fuck him in the back of his parents beat up volvo and then he’ll tell all his friends what you taste like and stop calling you before you fall asleep. delete his number and throw away the stuffed bear he won you at the carnival three weeks before. your carpet will be stained with tears and vomit and liquor and you’ll fight with you dad a lot more than usual. you’ll spit up pieces of your heart for weeks. you’ll burn alive when you see him in the halls. you won’t always feel like you’re cracking and a few months later you’ll be falling asleep on the phone with someone else. let it hurt for a little while but don’t let it kill you. never let it kill you.
3. the girl you’ve been best friends with for 9 years will stop speaking to you. one night you’ll make plans with her and she’ll cancel at the last minute because she’s sick but you’ll see her updating her snapchat story with pictures of empty alcohol bottles and blurry eyes and the mean girls who never let you sit with them. try to forgive her. she’s going through all the bloody, broken teeth, black and blue filled nights like you are. everyone’s trying to survive so don’t be too hard on anyone. especially yourself.
4. your teacher will ask the class questions and you’ll know the answers but you’ll keep your shaky hand between your knees and keep your tongue glued to the top of your mouth. don’t bother. speak out. nothing bad will happen. so when your biology teachers calls on you to tell him about last nights assignment, don’t stare at the spinning ground and mumble through numb lips. you’re smarter than you think and nobody is looking at you anyway.
5. you’re not his baby girl. when he tries to kiss your neck and pull you onto his lap, get up and leave. you don’t have to go upstairs with him. you don’t have to sleep with him because he’s begging. it’s not your job to fuck around with boys who can’t remember your name. take care of yourself even when he’s calling you a tease and whispering just loud enough for you to hear.
6. go out. go to football games and sit on hard metal bleachers for hours and take shots that taste like bleach and hold hands with the cute boy from english class. go to that dumb party and don’t complain or stand in the corner. things are always moving. people are always falling in love and laughing and putting themselves back together. be part of it.
7. ask for help. you don’t have to let yourself rot. when you don’t know how to do something in math class ask your teacher to explain. when your heart falls out of your chest and shatters at your feet, ask your best friend to come over and watch bad movies with you until you both feel less dead. when the boy you’re convinced you love kisses someone else, ask your mother to help stop the bleeding. you’re not alone so stop acting like it. no more breakdowns at three in the morning locked in the bathroom screaming. your older sister is still awake. crawl into bed with her.
8. it all ends. high school doesn’t last forever and 6 years from now you’ll be whole again. you won’t remember the names of the boys who made you cry or the girls who fucked you over. you won’t remember the names of the teachers who made your cheeks turn red and tied your stomach in knots. you won’t remember the time you fell down the stairs in front of everyone. you won’t remember what it’s like to want to die. try to remember the times you laughed so hard you spit out your drink. try to remember the people who helped put you back together. try to remember the people who bled with you when things got messy, when they call you at 3 in the morning to ask how you’ve been, answer the phone.
9. don’t forget to breathe."
- 9 things to remember when you are 14 (via extrasad)